While some towns shut down at first sight of snow, the winter doesn’t slow us down one iota in Minnesota. Bundle up, strap on your best boots, and head out to explore all the best things to do in Stillwater during the colder months. A few of the biggest perks to traveling in the off-season, you’ll encounter fewer tourists, minimal crowds, and experience lower rates around town—to mention a few. The snow also adds a bit of romance, and you can curl up and stay cozy inside while enjoying the beautiful wintery views.
One of the best places to take in those classic Stillwater views is the Water Street Inn—a premiere boutique hotel in the historic district in the downtown area. Our location is extremely walkable to all of the best things to do in Stillwater. You’ll have everything you need on-site (dining, drinks, and entertainment) for those chilly nights, ideally spent inside with your spouse, life partner, close friends, and family. We have a large selection of unique guest rooms to accommodate any style of stay.
The 10 Best Things to do in Stillwater this Winter
There’s something incredibly magical about a getaway to Stillwater, MN, during the wintertime. Our charming small town and Historic Lift Bridge are festively lit with twinkling lights and decorations; there are a ton of seasonal events and just as many cozy places to curl up and get warm by the fire.
Here are the top 10 things to do in Stillwater this winter:
- River Side Ice Skating Rink: Each year, the Water Street Inn adds a little winter fun to the waterfront with a River Side Ice Skating Rink. It’s free, and we hold hours for free skating, hockey nights, and family skating. Bring your own ice skates. It’s one of the most memorable things to do in Stillwater year after year!
- World Snow Sculpting Championship: Teams worldwide will travel to Stillwater to participate in this impressive and exciting art form. The Snow Sculpting event takes place from January 18th to the 23rd of this year.
- Walk the Lift Bridge Path: While this walk across the historic lift bridge into Wisconsin is one of the most fantastic things to do in Stillwater year-round, during the winter months, bundle up and get ready to see some of the most beautiful winter views on the St. Croix River Crossing Loop Trail.
- Head to the Local Breweries: We’re all about locally brewed beer in Minnesota, and Stillwater is no exception! Grab a delicious pint at the nearby Lift Bridge Brewing and River Siren Brewing for a holiday treat.
- Check out the Winter Events in Stillwater: There are so many holiday-themed events and activities in Stillwater, from the Winter Ice Cream Social to horse-drawn wagonette rides; there’s something for everyone. Head over to the Stillwater events calendar for details!
- Enjoy a Warm Beverage on a Heated Patio: Even though it might be cold outside, one of the best things to do in Stillwater is to grab an adult beverage in the great outdoors. Many local establishments offer heated patio spaces, including our own Charlie’s Pub.
- Get Cozy with a Delicious Meal: The culinary scene in Stillwater is ever-evolving and on the pulse of the latest dining trends. You’ll find everything from traditional Italian and New American to international delights and street tacos.
- Listen to Live Music at Charlie’s Pub: Head just down the elevator from your room to some of the best live entertainment in Stillwater at Charlie’s Pub. We have a lovely array of musicians who come through and liven up the place with their talents.
- Holiday Shopping on Main Street: Got some last-minute shopping to do? Wrap up that holiday list at the nearly 50 local boutiques and shops on Main Street in Stillwater.
- Book an In-Room Massage or Special Add-on Package: As a guest at the Water Street Inn, you’ll have access to unique packages and enhancements for those who would rather stay in during their time in Stillwater. That includes massage and spa services, wine and snacks delivered to your room, and much more!
If you have any questions or want more suggestions on the best things to do in Stillwater, please ask our warm and welcoming staff members during your stay at our Stillwater Hotel.
One of the Best Places to Stay in Stillwater All Year Long
The Water Street Inn is a stunning example of Victorian architecture in the downtown historic district of Stillwater, MN. No other hotel, AirBNB, or Inn can compare to our offerings and the value you’ll get for your stay. You’ll love our unparalleled hospitality—only hiring consummate professionals passionate about customer service. Our 61 guest rooms have high-end amenities, including fine linens, bath products, comfortable mattresses, and unique decor. And our on-site restaurant and bars offer hours of entertainment and delicious meals.