Visiting wineries near Stillwater MN is a perfect outing during your vacation here. It’s a great way to take in the beautiful landscape of this part of the midwest and taste some amazing wine! Though Minnesota might not come to mind when you’re thinking about wine country, there are some dedicated and skilled wine makers in this region making some really delicious vino.
Due to the cold winters here, vineyards need some extra preparation and care. This means the varietals planted at these wineries near Stillwater MN are hardy cold weather French hybrids. A few varieties were even invented in Minnesota by a horticulturist named Elmer Swenson. Look out for these grapes, Edelweiss, St. Croix, and Frontenac, on your trip out to these wineries near Stillwater MN.
When you stay at the Water Street Inn you’ll be in the perfect location to explore the countryside and visit these wineries near Stillwater MN. Located in the heart of downtown Stillwater and right on the shore of the St. Croix River, our boutique hotel has 61 guest rooms, multiple dining options including a roof top bar, and an amazing view of the water and the historic Lift Bridge.
Come make our Victorian-era Hotel your home base when visiting wineries near Stillwater MN and book today!
Check out these 5 Great Wineries near Stillwater MN
There’s something romantic about a day wine tasting in the beautiful countryside surrounding Stillwater MN. Scenic drives are a spectacular way to take in the fields bursting with wildflowers, forests of White Cedar, Hemlock, and Pine, and rolling hills of pastoral farmland. Heading out to these wineries near Stillwater MN is such a great activity on any vacation.
Here are 5 wineries near Stillwater MN and our downtown Stillwater Hotel to visit on your stay:
- Saint Croix Winery: Less than a 10 minute drive from our Stillwater Hotel, this winery was founded in 1992 and offers private tastings by appointment or drop-in tastings in their rustic converted barn. Picnics and strolling through the vineyards are encouraged and you might even catch live music.
- Seven Vines Vineyards: Head out about 15 minutes to the town of Dellwood to taste these hardy Minnesota grape varietals, either on a custom wine tour or in the elegant wine bar area. A full menu of small plates, flatbreads, and sandwiches pair nicely with their handcrafted wines.
- Rustic Roots Winery: This is one of the newer wineries near Stillwater MN, which just opened this past year in a beautifully renovated house turned tasting room. The expansive patio is a perfect place to hang with friends or family over a glass of wine or tasting. Order meat and cheese boards, paninis, or pizza to share with the group and sit back and relax.
- Cracked Barrel Winery: Just over the St. Croix River in Wisconsin, this winery is a casual spot to relax and drink a glass of northern climate wines. Order at the wine bar and take your beverage to the fireplace room or find a spot on their open air patio out in the vineyard.
- White Bear Meadery: If you haven’t had a chance to try mead, which is a fermented honey wine, you’re missing out! But no worry, head about 20 minutes from our Inn and taste an array of locally made meads. The flavor profile swings from very dry to honey sweet to satisfy any palate.
It’s best to check ahead of time for hours and availability at these wineries—reservations may also be highly recommended.
The Best Lodging in Downtown Stillwater, MN
Our Stillwater Hotel is the perfect place for a quick weekend getaway or a longer leisurely vacation, our Inn is spacious and in an ideal location for family, fun, or business travel. Guest suites come fully equipped with modern amenities, but each room has its own special touch to make your stay special. Private balconies with sweeping views of the river or comfy chairs by cozy fireplaces are the best spots to enjoy a bottle of wine from one of these wineries near Stillwater MN.
We offer an array of add-ons and specials packages to make any stay extra, from in-room massages to full meals delivered to your suite, we aim to please. Our hotel concierge is more than happy to help you plan your outings, set up reservations, or fill you in on all the things there are to do in Stillwater this summer. Book today and come see the small town charm of Stillwater in person!