Downtown Stillwater MN is one of the prettiest little cities in all of the state. Of course, we’re biased, but our town is frequently voted one of the best to visit in the midwest by national and local publications. After a long year of uncertainty, spring has brought a new sense of hope with sunshine, blooming lilac trees, and businesses reopening for the season.
Late April and early May are when seasonal attractions open in downtown Stillwater MN. From trolley and riverboat rides, to historical tours, ghost walks, and parks you’ll have a ton of activities to choose from. Luckily, with the weather warming up, most of our local bars and restaurants have outdoor patios spaces, and many have added street seats or parklets for dining and drinks with friends.
The Water Street Inn is the perfect location to enjoy a weekend away or a longer leisurely vacation in our charming little city. Our Inn is right in the heart of downtown Stillwater MN, directly across from the riverfront, and amazing views of the historical 1931 Lift Bridge spanning the St. Croix River. Our 61-room Stillwater Hotel is Victorian by design, but updated with the modern amenities to make your stay extraordinary. Book your room today!
Explore all There is to do in Spring in Downtown Stillwater MN
When you stay at our Stillwater Hotel, you’re basically within walking distance from the majority of all the fun activities you’ll want to add to your itinerary in the downtown area. We also boast three amazing and diverse dining establishments on our own property, which takes the guesswork out of choosing where to eat for every meal on your getaway.
Here we’ve put together a list of 9 must-do activities on your adventure in downtown Stillwater MN:
- Get a Lay of the Land: Stillwater Trolley has been taking guests on historical tours of the city since 1989, suffice to say, they really know their stuff. The 45-minute narrated tour takes you by beautiful Victorian architecture, the St. Croix River, and gives you glimpse of what’s in store on your visit to downtown Stillwater MN.
- Spend a Day on the Water: There are a lot of ways to enjoy the St. Croix River, Stillwater River Boats offers lunch and dinner cruises aboard an old fashioned river boat. Luckily, for those who would rather be the captain, there are many boat rental companies to suit your needs.
- Romance on the River: If you’re in town for a romantic getaway to downtown Stillwater MN, there’s no better outing than a gondola ride with Gondola Romantica for a special date. They even suggest bringing your own picnic for the ride, so pack some fruit, cheeses, and your best bottle of bubbly.
- Tell Spooky Stories: One of the most unique ways to stroll downtown Stillwater MN are on ghost tours with American Ghost Walks. Listen to stories of paranormal encounters, recent investigations, and folk lore legends. Thankfully, this tour group meets just around the corner from our downtown Stillwater Hotel.
- Notable Sites: The Warden’s House Museum is an interesting tour for historical tidbits about the area. While they have yet to release a reopening date, we hope they’ll be resuming tours by mid-spring. For the true history buffs, there’s a full list of tours you might want to add to your schedule.
- Drinks on High: There are three local rooftop patios to check out in downtown Stillwater MN for amazing riverfront views. For upscale pub grub and cocktails hit Portside or you’ll find craft beer and meat-focused fare at Brick and Bourbon. And conveniently, on your stay at our Stillwater Hotel, our favorite spot is on Papa’s Rooftop for Italian-style meals, wood-fired pizza, and cocktails with a stunning view.
- Sweets and Treats: At some point you’ll want to stop for ice cream! Nelson’s Ice Cream serves up a rainbow of flavors in huge scoops and cones. Or if you prefer soft serve, MN Nice Cream offers fun toppings and creative flavors.
- Wine, Beer, and Cider: You’ll want to take the time to explore a little bit away from the Riverfront and check out Saint Croix Vineyards for flights, wine tours, and live music on Saturdays in the spring and summer. While you’re out that way, make sure to pop into the taproom at Thor’s Hard Cider for locally grown and produce apple ciders. And right back in the heart of downtown Stillwater, check out Maple Island Brewing for craft beers and the El Coronel food truck.
- Hiking and Biking: If you’d like to find a hike or a place to bike, but don’t want to stray too far from the downtown area, the trailhead for Brown’s Creek State Trail is just a quick drive from our Stillwater Hotel. Stop off at Gateway Trailside a food truck parked just with hikers and bikers in mind. You can easily rent bikes from Diro Outdoors located right at our Stillwater Hotel.
The Best Luxury Lodging in Downtown Stillwater MN
Our Stillwater Hotel is iconic. Situated directly on the St. Croix Riverfront with stunning panoramic views, you’ll just love to sit on your private balcony or our rooftop bar gazing out at the water. The guest rooms are comfortable with high-end amenities, from comfy king size beds, cozy fireplaces, double whirlpool tubs (suite rooms only), and all with that midwest charm.
With the coming of Spring it’s definitely time to start planning your next visit to Stillwater MN, be it for a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or a solo escape for some time to reset, our downtown Stillwater Hotel can accommodate all of your needs. Check our availability and book your room today!