One of the best ways to take in the lovely fall foliage in Stillwater is on these scenic drives in Minnesota. We’re located along the St. Croix Scenic Byway, also known as State Highway 95, which runs directly through our historic downtown Main Street. Stillwater is located only 30 minutes from the Twin Cities and about an hour and a half from Rochester, MN. It’s the ideal destination for a weekend away for a romantic retreat, a quick family getaway, or even a solo trip to reset and relax.
When you stay at the Water Street Inn, you’ll enjoy the stunning fall scenery along the St. Croix River right from the windows of our hotel and from your guest suite. Stillwater is one of the most picturesque parts of Minnesota, which is particularly beautiful in Autumn. In fact, our charming small town is constantly named one of America’s best towns for fall foliage. Book your next getaway soon, before the holiday season sets in, and take in this season filled with stunning colors, delicious treats, and fantastic hospitality. Book your room today!
Scenic Drives in Minnesota: Join us in Stillwater!
Thankfully, if you’re choosing to come to Stillwater for your next getaway, you’ll enjoy some of the most scenic drives in Minnesota on your way here.
- From Minneapolis/St. Paul: If you live in the Twin Cities, Stillwater is the ideal destination for a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city. Right away, you’ll notice the calm and quiet pace of life in our charming small town. It’s a reasonably straight shot along the MN-36 E; be sure to take note of the beautiful fall colors on your way.
- From Rochester: Our Stillwater Hotel is about an hour and a half from downtown Rochester. The fastest route is along the US-52 N and is one of the more lovely scenic drives in Minnesota the closer you get to Stillwater.
- From Madison, Wisconsin: For those interested in a bit of a road trip, there are a few routes from downtown Madison ranging from four to five hours to the picturesque small town of Stillwater. One of the most scenic drives in Minnesota is along the US-61, which parallels much of the scenic bluffs and shoreline of the Mississippi River.
Take One of These Scenic Drives in Minnesota to nearby Activities:
- Saint Croix Vineyards: Head out about 10 minutes to this lovely Stillwater winery. Set up a private tasting by appointment or stop by for public tastings in their rustic converted barn. Picnics and strolling through the vineyards are encouraged, and you might even catch live music.
- Willow River State Park: A popular destination for hiking, waterfall viewing, biking, rock climbing, kayaking, and swimming, this nearly 3,000-acre park is an outdoor lover’s paradise. Also, a fabulous place to take in the bright fall colors.
- Aamot’s Apple Farm: Take the beautiful ten-minute drive into the Minnesota countryside from Stillwater to one of the best fall attractions for fresh air, sweet treats, and apple cider. If you prefer your cider with proof, check out Thor’s Hard Cider on-site at the orchard.
Classic Lodging at our Victorian Hotel in Stillwater
Fall is not only known as one of the most beautiful seasons in Minnesota, but it’s also the perfect time to curl up by the fire and relax with the person you love—and our Stillwater Hotel is one of the best places to unwind. The comfort of our guest rooms and suites, complimentary amenities, and welcoming hospitality you’ll find at our hotel are unparalleled. We offer three excellent restaurant experiences on-site—from casual eats to elegant fine dining—you’ll want to join us for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Imagine taking one of the most scenic drives in Minnesota with our exceptional accommodations as your destination. Check our upcoming availability and book your next stay today!