Between the starbursts of bright fall color and the bustle of a busy riverfront community that knows how to keep visitors happy, there’s no shortage of things to do in Stillwater MN this fall.
And there’s no better place to begin and end your Stillwater adventures each day than the centrally located, comfortably appointed Water Street Inn, in the heart of the city’s historic district, with its soothing view of the St. Croix River. Look over our variety of spacious, cozy guest rooms and views, and reserve the one that’s right for you today from our #1 Best-Rated Hotel in Stillwater, Minnesota.
Our 10 Favorite Things to Do in Stillwater MN This Fall
You’d better believe that a place named “One of The Prettiest Towns in America” by Forbes magazine has plenty to offer visitors each October and November. Whether you’re off of a leaf-peeping excursion or taking a leisurely stroll along the riverfront in search of fine dining and shopping, we can help you find things to do in Stillwater MN this fall.
- From river cruises to city rooftops to country roads, there’s no shortage of ways to stare at the fall foliage in all its bursts of green, gold, red, and orange. Here are ten ways to take in the leaves from every possible angle.
- Stillwater wears its history on its sleeves, and we’re eager to shoot our cuffs for you and show off the area’s rich lumber-driven history in the form of a walking tour. Try Rivertown Tours for a guided experience, or use this app to give yourself an informed self-guided tour.
- If you’ve come to Stillwater on a romantic getaway, consider taking your special someone on a gondola ride, by sunlight or moonlight, on the St. Croix River. Book your cruise here. And if you’d like to try the river in your own way and at your own pace, you can rent kayaks or paddleboards here.
- Another way to revel in the romance of the river is to take a ride down the St. Croix on a paddle-wheeler riverboat. Book a two-hour public cruise or private charter, with lunch or dinner, included, here.
- Stillwater’s thriving downtown is home to a number of clothing boutiques for women that offer apparel and gifts with a local flavor that you can find anywhere else. Here’s a guide to some of our finest.
- Stillwater is renowned as having one of America’s finest small-town food scenes, and there are plenty of delightful opportunities to dine al fresco even in October, beginning an ending with Water Street Inn’s own still-new dazzling panoramic-view dining experience at Papa’s Rooftop Restaurant & Bar. In all, some 30 downtown Stillwater restaurants offer sidewalk, deck, patio, or alleyway dining opportunities. Check the list here.
- Stillwater isn’t home to just good shopping and good food; it’s also got a well-regarded beer-and-wine scene … that is, beyond the delicious offerings of Water Street Inn. Work your way through this list of breweries, wineries, and tasting rooms on foot, or work up a thirst by taking a leisurely tour of downtown by trolley or as part of the power of the famous BierCycle.
- Few things awaken the senses to the fact that fall is here like the color, taste, and texture of a crisp apple, and Aamodt’s Apple Farm Bakery & Store is a one-stop destination for all things apples. This iconic family-owned Stillwater destination offers you the opportunity to pick your own apples, or to purchase or taste everything from apple cider (hard and oft) to apple oatmeal cookies to apple butter.
- Aamodt’s also offer hot-air balloon rides with scintillating views of the St. Croix River Valley and surrounding bluffs. Book here.
- There’s no shortage of great biking and hiking opportunities around Stillwater. Here’s a great list of our favorites, and the St. Croix Crossing Trail Loop, a spectacular 5.4-mile walk that takes you across two bridges spanning the river between Minnesota and Wisconsin, should be at the top of your list of things to do in Stillwater MN this fall.
Start and End Each Day’s Stillwater Fall Outings at Our Inn
Fall is not only undeniably beautiful in Minnesota, but it’s also the perfect time to curl up and enjoy the cozy atmosphere of our historic riverfront hotel after a long day of finding things to do in Stillwater MN. Nothing quite beats the comfort, amenities, and hospitality you’ll find at the Water Street Inn.
We’ll pamper you with a delicious and freshly made breakfast every morning. and our“Minnesota Nice” hospitality, as comforting and warm as your evening cup of tea or your morning cup of coffee. Couple this with stunning views of fall colors and a fall getaway with should be at the top of your list of things to do in Stillwater MN. Book your getaway to our Minnesota hotel this fall!