If you’re looking for a great place to get away in Minnesota this summer, then it’s time to consider a visit to our hotel, located in downtown Stillwater, MN. Stillwater is located on the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin and is situated along the stunningly beautiful St. Croix River. It’s only around 30 minutes outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Not only is Stillwater and easy place to get away, but there are a number of fun things to do in Stillwater MN, too!
The Waterstreet Inn, a hotel located on the river in downtown Stillwater, is the perfect place to get away and enjoy all this area has to offer. We offer 61 comfortable guest rooms, each with their own distinct charm and flair, and many offering breathtaking river views and balconies for your enjoyment. We also have 3 restaurants on-site, including our newest rooftop restaurant, Papa’s. Our historic hotel offers you the perfect blend of old-world charm and modern comforts and conveniences.
Travel will look different for everyone this summer, but our hotel in the charming and quaint town of Stillwater is a great place to get away, relax, and enjoy a little R&R. This summer, give yourself something to look forward to and book a room at our hotel in Stillwater, MN.
Our Favorite Things to do in Stillwater, MN
There are plenty of fun and interesting things to do in Stillwater MN, which is one of the many things that make it such an exciting getaway destination. COVID-19 has definitely interrupted travel plans around the country, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a relaxing, fun, and exciting getaway in Minnesota this summer! Stillwater has been named one of the “top 5 midwest towns to visit now,” and is continuously voted as one of the prettiest and best towns to visit. Don’t you think it’s time to take the time to discover what others already have?
The romance of downtown Stillwater has made it a charming and beloved getaway destination for many over the years, and it’s easy to see why. Here, you’ll still see riverboats and authentic gondolas gliding down the river, you’ll meander down the historic streets of downtown, admire the beauty of the river and bluffs, and enjoy the small-town charm, all while time seemingly stands still. Stillwater is just as great in winter as it is in spring, summer, and fall, too. There are plenty of things to do in Stillwater MN no matter the season!
In fact, there are so many great things to do in Stillwater MN that it can be hard to find a place to begin. That’s what we’re here for, though. Here are just a few of our favorite things to do in Stillwater:
- View the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge. You won’t have to go far for this one, as it’s right out the window of our hotel, but it’s an exceptional sight to behold. Stillwater’s lift bridge was built in 1931, and spans the St. Croix River between Stillwater and Hudson, WI. It’s one of three remaining bridges of its kind in the country.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the scenic St. Croix River Valley.
- Take a historic walking tour of downtown Stillwater, taking in the beautiful architecture and stopping into the various shops along the way.
- Climb the historic steps of Stillwater! Stillwater is actually built into the hillsides surrounding the St. Croix River, so there are several sets of stairs (5 to be exact) that take you from the bottom, near the river, to the top, where you can enjoy exceptional views of the river and valley below.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy one of the best views of Stillwater from Pioneer Park.
- Take a scenic drive along the St. Croix Scenic Byway. The drive is truly beautiful at any time of year, but it is especially fantastic when the fall colors are changing.
- Enjoy some wine tasting in the St. Croix River Valley. Popular destinations include St. Croix Vineyards and Seven Vines Vineyard. If you’d rather grab a beer or cider, head to Lift Bridge Brewery or Thors Hard Cider.
- Are you interested in Minnesota’s haunted history? There are some great ghost walks offered in Stillwater. It’s a great way to learn more about this historic town, too.
- Enjoy a cruise on the river with St. Croix Riverboats. These scenic paddleboats offer daily tours and offer a wonderfully unique way to see this beautiful area. You can also rent your own boat and get out on the water that way.
- Enjoy an afternoon or two of hiking and biking along some of the area’s best trails. The recently completed St. Croix River Crossing Loop Trail starts just outside our Inn on the historic lift bridge, and continues 4.5 miles before looping back across the river on the new St. Croix Crossing Bridge into downtown. The Browns Creek State Trail, another that starts from the waterfront in front of our Inn, travels 7 miles out into the scenic countryside before hooking up with the Gateway State Trail, which can be ridden all the way into St. Paul.
Where to Stay in Stillwater MN
As you can see, the list of things to do in Stillwater MN is quite long, and we’ve barely even scratched the surface. If you’re taking the time to visit us in Stillwater, MN this summer, then you might as well immerse yourself right in the heart of downtown and stay at the Waterstreet Inn, the only waterfront hotel in town. Our Stillwater MN hotel overlooks not just the beautiful St. Croix River, but the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge as well. From our hotel, most of the area’s top attractions are easily accessible and even walkable.
Moreover, our hotel offers you a choice between 3 great restaurants: Charlie’s Restaurant, which offers a delicious fine dining experience in Stillwater; Charlie’s Pub, which offers a casual ambiance and live music most weekends; and our newest addition, Papa’s Rooftop Restaurant, which offers its own menu of delicious food with incomparable views of the St. Croix River. With so many great things to offer, why would you choose to stay anywhere else? Book your room at our hotel in Stillwater MN today!