Our charming small town of Stillwater MN is known as one of the top five midwest towns to visit, especially for a weekend getaway. Stillwater is the ideal location from the larger metropolitan areas—considering it’s only a 30-minute drive from downtown Minneapolis. We’re also centrally located from St. Cloud and Rochester, only about an hour and a half road trip from those cities.
There are so many things to do in Stillwater MN on a weekend getaway. You’ll find excellent dining options, as well as riverfront breweries and craft cocktail bars with amazing views. Make sure to include a visit out to the countryside for apple orchards and wineries! Or take in these gorgeous hills with bright fall foliage or the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge from a boat tour on the St. Croix River.
First things first, you’ll need to decide on lodging, and our downtown Stillwater Hotel is the ideal location for a weekend getaway to the midwest. Set just along the waterfront of the St. Croix River, our Victorian-era boutique hotel has 61 guest suites, many with breathtaking views from private balconies. Rooms are equipped with high-end amenities, comfy queen-size beds, and elegant bathrooms.
The Best Place for a Weekend Getaway in Minnesota
There’s an air of calm and quiet in Stillwater MN that permeates the riverfront and surrounding areas. It’s the perfect atmosphere for a romantic weekend getaway or a relaxing solo retreat from the business of everyday work and life. At the Water Street Inn, you’ll find beautiful guest rooms, three restaurants (including a rooftop bar), and unparalleled midwestern hospitality.
Here are the best things to do on any weekend getaway to Stillwater MN:
- Take the Stillwater Trolley Tour: There’s no better way to get a lay of the land and a brief history of the downtown area than on an old-time trolley ride with Stillwater Trolley. You’ll spot beautiful views of the river, cruise by shops and restaurants to visit, and learn more about how our charming small town came to be.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: Head out to Aamodt’s Apple Farm, where the hot air balloons take off and soar over the beautiful, lush countryside. They offer small group flights for up to eight passengers, and it’s likely to be a highlight of your weekend getaway.
- Stroll the vines at St. Croix Vineyards: The tasting room at this Stillwater winery is located in a rustic, remodeled barn on beautiful sweeping grounds with rolling green lawns, vineyards, and outdoor seating options. On your weekend getaway, plan a visit out for wine tasting and live music.
- Dine out at Downtown Stillwater Restaurants: While as a guest at our Stillwater Hotel, you’ll have access to three of the best restaurants in town, but there’s a lot of other options to explore as well. The highest-rated restaurant on TripAdvisor is Lolo American Kitchen. It’s just about a five minutes walk from our Inn for fusion-dining with share plates, creative burger combos, tacos, and sticky rice bowls.
- Tour the area on a Riverboat: One of the biggest draws to Stillwater is the gorgeous river views, and there’s no better way to explore than by old-fashioned Riverboat, romantic Gondala ride, or private charter. For a more in-depth look into the boat tour options, check out our list here.
- Grab a Pint at Maple Island Brewing: Just a quick jaunt from the lobby of our Stillwater Hotel, head on down to this brewery right along the riverfront for a pint and fantastic views. They’re currently remodeling a new outdoor space and will remain open during the updates, but that will bring an even better beer drinking experience to the downtown area.
Come to Our Beautiful Town for a Weekend Getaway
If you’re heading to Stillwater MN for a weekend getaway with romance in mind, the St. Croix Suites are the best choice for your lodging. These two-room suites come equipped with queen-sized canopy beds, double whirlpool baths, and seating areas around a gas fireplace. Another perk, you won’t even need to leave your room for the sweeping views of the St. Croix River.
To up the romance on your weekend getaway, don’t forget to choose from our wide range of add-on packages and specials. From small gestures like flowers and chocolates in your room upon arrival to more significant bonuses like in-room massages and private coursed meals delivered to your room, we cover the spread for a relaxing and wonderful weekend getaway. Book your room today!